This post is in two segments. It is intentional and I hope you enjoy it. διευτύχει!
1) The trend today is to use overly simple words
2) Reaching the masses with common slang and language is senseless democratization
3) Descriptive words should be used when ever possible so they don’t fall out of use and understanding
I suspect that many will read these bullet points and will move on. I kept to the rule of 3. I applied the concept in bullet points. It would be a good foundation for a presentation lasting no more than 15 min with a 15 min Q&A. This is a simple conclusion.
But wait, there’s more!
Senseless democratization plays to the lowest common denominator which determines how language is used and it’s mediums of distribution. Once upon a time we were taught that one expressive word was preferred over a sentence. In other countries a common language was acceptable if you learned the higher language. Switzerland is a good example of this standard.
Today we are trained to use the simplest words in sound bites. The notion behind this trend is to reach the broadest audience in the shortest time. One might equate that to senseless democratization. Power point is the death of language in many ways. See Guy Kawasaki’s pitch deck format for startups. That is not the whole story of course, but it’s a sign of how much attention is given to communication of complex ideas. I especially like this term. “If you can’t explain it simply, it’s not valid”. In the spirit of that statement, here is my slide deck outline for NASA and space flight.
1) Goal: Warp Drive v = w10/3c
2) Problem: E = mc2
3) Solution: Alcubierre metric
4) Management team: 3 key industry experts (names redacted) and 5 futurists (names also redacted) I shall be the CEO as these luminary talents. They will need an business focused executor.
5) Go to market: Kickstarter! Star Trek has over 40 million fans worldwide** Could be as high as 3 billion We intend to raise $150 from 15% – 50% of the target audience which will give us enough funds to complete the beta and first rewards. Stretch goals will be to $2,500 providing a scaled model of the final project die cast and painted to match the brand.
6) Timeline: Geometric knowledge (See Ray Kurzweil) projects our use of newly discovered dark matter to be 5 years away with a fully working model in 7 years. The scope of this project is not to build a commercially viable product but exit the company through acquisition for liquidity.
7) ROI to investors: 10X with no dilution based on the success of our kick-starter project. Use of funds will be to scale the prototype and delivery of knowledge to market. License fees will have to be paid to Cern etc… but we see these as minimal the subject matter is not patentable under current USPTO guidelines. Of course, we will file patents that attempt to border the application of these technologies.
8) Metrics: Generate Kickstarter success in 90 Days. Complete Kickstarter validation and rewards in 120 Days. First working laboratory example 36 months. First 1/4 scale working prototype in 48 months.
9) First spin off technology: Generalized Chaplygin gas
Ok, so this was a bit of hyperbole at the expense of your time. But it conveys the point perfectly. Most would have stopped at the bullet points above.
What we lost is the notion of context and language. When to use what and when. My children are as superficial in their communication as anyone today, but as parents and educators we enforce certain rules and manners of language. In polite social circles I often restate comments in conversation both to obtain clarity and provide options to the participants in a non-obtrusive way. I find it a losing battle and often wonder what will happen we the language of our constitution is out of reach of the masses. Will there be a powerpoint to explain it’s subtle intent hidden meaning between the words? I think not. To quote Thomas Paine’s famous – definition, “not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government.”. I am not sure a current translation would suffice. “WTF #USA #POTUS, #Occupy #Wethepeople #AYBABTU!
In conclusion, please allow me to Quote Jefferson:
“I think by far the most important bill in our whole code is that for the diffusion of knowledge among the people. No other sure foundation can be devised, for the preservation of freedom and happiness…Preach, my dear Sir, a crusade against ignorance; establish & improve the law for educating the common people. Let our countrymen know that the people alone can protect us against these evils [tyranny, oppression, etc.] and that the tax which will be paid for this purpose is not more than the thousandth part of what will be paid to kings, priests and nobles who will rise up among us if we leave the people in ignorance.”